Dec 8, 2009

Ultimate CrossFit

Today I took my second CrossFit "field trip" with a drop-in visit to Ultimate CrossFit, located in Charlotte, NC.

The facility was awesome, tons of pullup stations, barbells and plates. And they had a mural of Kool-Aid Man busting through the wall holding a kettlebell overhead with one arm. Awesome!

All the CrossFitters in attendance were totally welcoming and friendly, as were the coaches. I love a gym with a good positive attitude. I was also digging the hip-hop vibe of the music. It was the first time I got to hear one of the songs on my own CrossFit playlist in the gym -- "Tambourine", Eve.

--
Strength:
Back squat 3-3-1-1
85-95-115-135-145 (did 1 extra 1rep)

WOD:

AMRAP in 15 minutes:

  • 10 box jumps (24/20)
  • 10 DB walking lunges (35/25 db in each hand)
  • 10 knees to elbows
Results: 5 rounds

--
Is it OK that I am still squee-ing a little from getting compliments on my squats? I love hearing that I am a "strong squatter". :-p

That was  PR on back squats, again. I seem to PR each time I try them. I think it's just a matter of the fact that this is only the 4th time I've done back squats. Now that I see my potential, next time I'm supposed to go heavy I will really go for it. Kind wish I would've gone for 1 rep at my body weight (155), but it's all good. My legs were plenty tired after the metcon!

Ah, the metcon. As requested, I tried to do the "quicker" version of the box jump where you jump down rather than step down. And as I kind of expected, I got a bit uncoordinated in my quest for speed, and totally smashed my shin. Doh. Oh well, it isn't really that bad, and I think it made me look like a badass. heh

1 comment:

  1. I think you'd really like the gym I do Crossfit at... well, I think anyways. It's an old barn :) Goes to show that you can make a gym anywhere!

    The lady that runs it is pretty awesome and totally hardcore. Too bad western New York isn't really a "drop-in" for you! You totally kick my butt but I'd still love to work out with ya :)

    ReplyDelete