Jan 20, 2010

CrossFit arts & crafts project

As of Tuesday I officially completed my first CrossFit "arts & crafts" project -- a benchmark WOD whiteboard for my "home" box, CrossFit Camden.

I have to admit that since it's been so long since I had a little project to do, I kinda went overboard. But I had a ton of fun, and I'm pumped to go through the benchmarks with our athletes over the next couple months and see who comes out on top!

My main inspiration was from Ultimate CrossFit, though while I was there taking pictures I didn't get one of their benchmark WOD whiteboard. Later I found a good picture of the CF Park City setup, which is what I was going for, except horizontal.

Materials:
  • 1 - 4 x 8 x 1/8 sheet of tile board / panel board
  • 1 - roll electrical tape
  • 2 packs - 1'' Peel & Stick Vinyl Letters (like these, got mine from Staples)
  • 1 - label maker (borrowed from husband's office -- shhhhhh!)
  • 2 - plywood trim channel (something like this, in 4' length, and I'm not sure that width is right)
  • 2 - wood shim, 4' x 4'' x 3/8'' (I might be off on the thickness)
  • 1 - tube construction adhesive
You might be wondering, why those last three?

Well our box is in an industrial building that has 3 walls of metal, and only 1 wall of drywall. So we can't just screw things to the walls. Due to that, this whiteboard might be permanently set up leaning against a metal wall. If you've ever dealt with panel board, you know that if you lean it against the wall, it starts to bow in the middle. Yuck.

So we (yay for help from husband!) basically reinforced the two 4' edges with a metal channel by sticking a 4' long skinny piece of wood into the channel with the panel board to keep everything tight. We glued it all together with some construction adhesive -- husband and I figured that would be impervious to the 3000% humidity and 100 degree temperatures in the summertime. :)

In addition to being functional, I think the trim channel is pretty aesthetically pleasing - a nice shiny metal/chrome border on two sides. :)

Here are some pics!


Artsy shot in the morning sun. :)


Sitting under our cubbies temporarily. Check out my John Wooden quote above - LOVE that one!


--
Next project - an individual PR whiteboard. That project was inspired by CrossFit KoP. I'm hoping I can get somebody over there to take a picture of their whiteboard to send to me. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment