Jan 7, 2010

USMC PFT

Usually I don't post on my rest days, but now that I've made it my goal to post more than just WOD recaps in this blog, I'd like to start using rest days to write about other topics. I thought about adding "Rest Day" to the title, but I don't know. We'll see... Maybe I'll just add that as a label...

--
I didn't include it in my goals post, but one additional thing I'd like to do during 1Q10 is measure my current abilities based on the USMC PFT (Physical Fitness Test) standards for women.

This idea first occurred to me soon after meeting my husband (he's an active duty Marine) four years ago, and I've thought of it from time to time since then. Now seems like as good a time as any to put the idea to the test.

The tentative plan is to measure my performance now (as soon as possible after I get back home from this trip), and then again at the end of March. Hopefully I will get a higher score in March. :-p Even though he will roll his eyes and think it's cheesy, I'll get my husband to administer the test; we'll use the track on base and the pullup bars by his office (same place we took the 1st kipping pullups video).

Minimum acceptable performance for me (female, 28 year old) would be:
  1. 15 second flexed arm hang
  2. 45 crunches in 2 minutes
  3. 3 mile run in 32:00 (10:39 min/mile)
I can definitely do the minimum right now, so at least I know I won't fail. :-p

In order to score a perfect 300 points as a female, I would need to do the following:
  1. 70 second flexed arm hang
  2. 100 crunches in 2 minutes
  3. 3 mile run in 21:00
200 points is the minimum score for 1st class fitness classification for some of my age. There's no set way to get that score -- I could rock out the run and situps, and not do as well on the flexed arm hang, and get 200. Etc, etc, etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment